Things that have a positive side and a negative side:
Positive fear: Fear of the Lord
- Respect for the Lord
- Reverence (high esteem, high regard, admiration, appreciation)
- Awe (wonder, open-mouthed)
Fearing God means having such a reverence that it has a great impact on the way I live my life.
“Fear of the LORD is a life-giving fountain; it offers escape from the snares of death.”
Proverbs 14:27 (NLT)
“Fear of the LORD leads to life, bringing security and protection from harm.”
Proverbs 19:23 (NLT)
Negative fear: A spirit of fear
- It is a spirit that hinders us from becoming the people God wants us to be and doing the things that He would want us to do.
- It is a spirit that steals our peace.
- It is a spirit that creates doubt.
“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.”
2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT)
Overcoming the spirit of fear:
- Understand that God is with you.
- Understand that God is for you.
- Understand that God loves you.
“Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear.”
1 John 4:18a (NLT)