First Week of Prayer
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” Matthew 6:9-13
In this prayer Jesus gives us a 7-step outline for prayer:
- Connect with God relationally. “Our Father” *God is a good, good father!
- Honor our Father’s name. “hallowed be your name.” *God’s name is to be ultimate in our lives! No other name or thing should come before God!
- Pray & seek God’s agenda first. “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” *We should pray that God’s will be done in our life, family, church, city, country, and the world.
- Ask God to meet our needs. “Give us this day our daily bread.” *God wants to give us & others what we need most!
- Make our hearts right with God & with other people. “and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.”
- Help us deal with temptation. “and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” *Pray that God will keep us from temptation & deliver us from evil that could come our way!
- End with a big exclamation point. “For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen.”